No products in the cart.
As we embrace 2019 with optimism, we also close on an incredible year. 2018 was a year to remember! We look back on the past 12 months with gratitude for all of you who allow us to do what we love, and excitement for what we will be able to achieve together.
The year of the reef
For us, 2018 will always be the year of the reef. This year saw the groundbreaking decision to ban chemical sunscreen in Hawaii in an effort to preserve their reefs, followed by similar decisions to ban them in places like Bonaire, Palau and Aruba. Caring for our planet became more than mainstream; it became a legislative focus!
We rallied for the reefs! Goddess Garden provided testimony, research and even reef-safe sunscreen distribution reports. We sent free samples and provided reef-safe sunscreen for events and education opportunities. We even created a Care2 petition that garnered nearly 55,000 signatures that we sent to Governor Ige, urging him to sign the bill into law. Many of you signed it and we can’t thank you enough! The bill became a law on July 3rd, marking a huge victory for reefs.
Our activism efforts to support the Hawaiian ban on chemical sunscreen not only made waves and helped push the bill forward, but it helped us earn a Certified B Corporation® Best for the World Changemaker Award. We’re grateful to organizations like B Corp for recognizing that businesses can effect positive change and for encouraging companies like ours to use business as a force for good.
Press: Reefs go mainstream
News of the chemical sunscreen ban in Hawaii—and the traumatic effects these chemicals have on the reefs which led to the ban—became national news. What was once considered a coastal issue became a global issue—another huge victory since water runs down and eventually makes its way to the oceans. Here’s a peek at some of our press:
- Fast Company released a story on the ban and what it means to sunscreen companies. They called out Goddess Garden sunscreens as a reef-safe brand and even shared the news that CVS was planning to reformulate their store-brand sunscreens to avoid those chemicals.
- The Denver Post talked about our efforts to support the ban and helped spread the word on how fast the reefs are disappearing as a result of harmful sunscreen chemicals.
- SWAAY Magazine shared Nova’s story on why protecting the coral reefs became her rallying cry and the steps Nova and our company took to help save the reefs.
- Conscious Company named Nova as one of their 35 World-Changing Women in Conscious Business for her efforts to protect the coral reefs—on stores shelves through reef-safe products and though her activism efforts.
We create products that make it easy for people to respect and protect the planet and the Earth’s inhabitants. To do that, we have to create great products! This year, we reformulated our sunscreens to make them easier to spray, easier to apply and more sheer than our previous formulas. We changed our packaging to make it easier for people to find us and get the right products for their needs. We also heard you when you asked for SPF 50! Look for our new, ultra-sheer SPF 50s that are, of course, reef safe and safe for sensitive skin. We’re excited to continue to make life easier and safer for people and the planet! We’re also unveiling several new products in the coming weeks, so stay on the lookout for our announcements!
Aside from making reef-safe products and supporting legislative action to protect reefs, Goddess Garden was working behind the scenes. 2018 marked the beginning of an annual company-wide river clean-up to help local waterways. Our founder, Nova, was asked to join the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary. And, in addition to her efforts on the board, Nova made a lot of progress with her ocean preservation foundation, Protect Our Mother. The Foundation is dedicated to protecting marine mammals and their habitats. The first goals are in the areas of protection, legislation and climate balancing. Stay tuned for more updates on the foundation!
As momentous as 2018 was, we’re embracing 2019 with open arms. We know this year will be another one for the books and we hope you know we couldn’t do it without you. Thank you for all you do. Let’s make 2019 the best year yet!
Happy New Year!
- We’re Proud to Be a Certified B Corporation®
- Why We Care About Coral Reefs
- Did Hawaii Really Ban Sunscreen?
Fill out my online form.
(Visited 201 times, 44 visits today)