Everyone is different and the good news is that there isn’t just one way to enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy. We are continuing our “Aromatherapy 10 Ways” with the remaining 5 ways to utilize essential oils and include them in your daily self-care routine.
See the first 5 ways here.
6. Essential oils on silk and paper flowers
Try adding a few drops of our AromaMood essential oil blends to permanent or silk floral arrangements in your home or office. Simply open the flower completely and place one drop of essential oil in the very middle. (Be careful to do a color test first since some oils stain). As an alternative, you can put the essential oils on paper or a cotton ball and hide it in the vase.
7. Essential oils on your wrists or temples (for headaches, relaxation, sleep)
Got a headache, need to unwind? Adding essential oils to your wrists or temples can help. Make sure that before applying any essential oils to your skin you mix it with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil. Lucky for you, all of our AromaMood essential oil blends are already mixed with jojoba oil, so you can start right away. Massage the oil into your temples and across forehead. The inner wrist is another common location to apply our AromaMood essential oil blends. The wrist is a pulse point. Your radial artery runs along the inside of your wrist, which makes it easy for your body to absorb essential oils into the bloodstream. You can put 2-3 drops on your palm and rub them and then cup your hands under your face and breathe in deeply. You can also just open up the bottle and take a few relaxing inhales and exhales.
8. Essential oils for massage
When combining aromatherapy with massage therapy, you are able to really enhance your session. The massage therapist places the essential oils (always make sure they are diluted with a carrier oil before putting on skin) on specific spots of your body, while you deeply inhale the aromas. Not only will you feel the immediate results, but you will also experience long-term results from aromatherapy massage as well. Aromatherapy is a great option for anyone looking to amplify their experience. Calm your anxious mind with our AromaMood Grounding essential oil blend made with organic oils like vetiver, patchouli, and lavender help you stay calm and grounded.
9. Essential oils to spray on pillows or in room to help sleep or enhance mood
If you’re looking for a new way to reap the benefits of essential oils and get a good night’s sleep, try a pillow spray. Just add around 20 drops of our AromaMood Take 5 essential oil blend (made with soothing organic lavender and chamomile oil) to a 95 mL spray bottle. Fill with distilled water and shake thoroughly. Spray onto your pillow and drift off to sleep. You can also spray in any room to create a sense of calm.
10. Candles (in stock Nov 22) made with essential oils for relaxing, eliminating odors, and enhancing mood
Introducing our vegan aromatherapy candles. Made with soy wax, coconut oil and 100% essential oils and hand-poured in Boulder, CO. They come in Yuzu Citrus, French Lavender, and Wild Rose. The uplifting Yuzu Citrus candles are perfect for the kitchen. The French Lavender ones are best for the bedroom and helping you to relax and drift off to sleep (just make sure to blow it out before you fall asleep). And our Wild Rose candle is the perfect complement to some self-pampering in the bathtub (turn the lights off, play some music and relax).
Some notes on usage and safety.
Essential oils capture the very essence of the plant, so they’re incredibly concentrated and powerful. Don’t be intimidated! Just follow the label warnings and precautions, and take note of these basic usage guidelines and safety tips. You’ll soon be ready for the next chapter.
Health and safety guidelines:
- Essential oils are flammable. Keep away from open flame and high-heat sources.
- Keep oils tightly closed and out of the reach of children and pets.
- Never ingest essential oils.
- Always dilute essential oils with a vegetable oil like jojoba oil or sweet almond oil if you use them on your skin.
- The following oils should only be used in a diffuser or other non-skin application since they have more potential to irritate the skin: Cinnamon, Basil, Clove Bud, Lemongrass, Nutmeg, Wintergreen and Sage.*
- If you’d like to use an oil on your skin, do a skin test by diluting a small amount and applying it to your inner arm.
- If redness, burning, itching or irritation occurs during the test or at any time, stop using the oil immediately. Wash with soap and water for ten minutes. You may also anoint the area with any vegetable-based oil, and wipe with a clean cloth or cotton ball to remove residual essential oil.
- Strong citrus oils applied topically can make the skin more sensitive to ultraviolet light. If oil is used on the skin, protect exposed areas from the sun during use and up to 12 hours afterwards.
- Keep oils away from eyes and mucous membranes.
- Always use the recommended amounts.
- Avoid Sage, Wintergreen, Rosemary, Sweet Fennel and Eucalyptus if you have epilepsy.
- If you have a medical condition or are taking prescription drugs, consult with your healthcare professional.
- If you are pregnant or nursing, please avoid the following essential oils: Cinnamon Bark, Clove Bud, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Sage, Sweet Basil, Sweet Fennel, Wintergreen, Clary Sage, Nutmeg or Peppermint.*
- If you have high blood pressure, check with your doctor before using the following oils in aromatherapy: Black Pepper (Morning Chai Blend), Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sage or Thyme.*
- If you have any concerns about using oils, it is always a good idea to consult with your doctor.
*NOTE: Oils listed include only those we carry and may not be a complete list of all essential oils.
General Usage Guidelines:
- Some essential oils can stain clothing. Be careful to wash your hands after applying oils, and wait for the product to soak in before coming in contact with any fabric.
- Always store your products in a cool, dark place with the lid tightly sealed. You may keep them in the refrigerator, but it’s not required. If you do, take care to mark them as non-edible.
- If using a diffuser, always place on a clean, dry, even surface.
- Never cover the diffuser or block the opening.
- Always use the recommended amounts.
Shop our AromaMood collection here.
Shop Our Natural Fragrance Products
Candles & Aromatherapy
Daily Facial Ritual
Goddess Garden – Daily Mineral Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
Sheer, Zinc, Broad Spectrum, Water Resistant, Scented with organic lavender essential oil, Vegan, Reef Safe, Leaping Bunny Cruelty Free